Fire, Smoke, & Damage Restoration in Alberta & BC
Canstar Restorations offers professional fire damage restoration services in Alberta and British Columbia. We have a broad range of techniques and the best equipment available to restore your home or business to its original condition. Having your home or business damaged by a fire can be devastating, but our team is here to help you get back on your feet again. We can get your residential or commercial property back to its original condition after fire damage, water damage, or other forms of property damage. Smoke damage restoration is another popular service we perform. Fire damage restoration services include returning your fire or smoke-damaged property to its pre-loss condition. These services are necessary after your home or business experiences a fire. Learn more and get in touch with us to get started.
What Causes Fires to Occur?
Fires can be started in many ways, and knowing what to look out for can be crucial. Accidental fires can result in devastating property damage and injuries to people or pets. It’s essential to have a proper insurance policy in place, but preventing circumstances that can lead to fires is the first step. Hundreds of thousands of homes and businesses catch fire each year. Here are some of the most common reasons why fires occur so you can be careful to avoid them:
- Cooking – As the most common type of fire, cooking is responsible for about half of all house fires. In many cases, greases become overheated in an oven or on a stove. Since grease is highly flammable, it will combust even with no direct flame contact. Grease fires are very difficult to smother. To avoid cooking fires, never leave your kitchen unattended if you are using oil to cook or are cooking greasy foods like bacon. Be sure to clean your cookware thoroughly so grease does not build up over time. Never leave portable cooking appliances unsupervised, and don’t leave barbecue grills unattended when cooking outdoors.
- Heaters – Home space heaters and baseboard heaters are responsible for many fires when left too close to fabrics and other combustible items. Heaters that use fuel such as kerosene can be especially hazardous, and some fires are caused by faulty wiring in electrical heaters. Follow the directions on any portable heaters and never leave your home or business with a heater running.
- Electrical – Faulty wiring causes many fires each year. Short circuits and loose connections are often to blame. Electrical fires are more deadly than many other types of residential or commercial fires. Make sure your electrical systems are correctly installed and contain built-in protective features. Have your wiring checked out by a reputable electrician. Don’t attempt your own electrical repairs unless you know what you’re doing.
- Smoking – We know that smoking can be harmful to your health, but it can also be responsible for starting Cigarette butts can be dropped on carpet, furniture, and other flammable materials in homes and businesses. Smoking-related fires are very deadly because they often happen when someone is asleep. Avoid smoking in bed, and do your best to smoke outside.
- Candles – Never leave matches or lighters within reach of children. The holiday season is when the most candle fires occur, so be especially careful on Christmas, New Year’s Eve, and New Year’s Day. Keep candle flames at least one foot away from any materials that could ignite. Consider battery-powered flameless candles.
- Chemical Fires – More common in commercial and industrial buildings, chemical fires can also occur in homes. Store any fuels or chemicals in proper containers away from heat. Gasoline is a common source of chemical fires. Be sure you use approved containers that are no more than 95% full. Keep those containers sealed tightly so gas vapours cannot escape. Store the containers no less than 50 feet away from any pilot lights or ignition sources.
- Christmas Trees – These traditional decorations will dry out over time and can be very serious fire hazards. Christmas tree fires can ignite a whole room in seconds. Artificial trees are safer. Be sure never to leave your Christmas tree plugged in if you are not home or asleep. Check your tree each day to ensure it’s not too dry and keep the water reservoir full. Use LED bulbs rather than incandescent ones.
What to Do When You Have a Fire
It’s easy to panic when you notice a fire in your home or business. Fast action is critical when it comes to fire and smoke damage. The safety of you and those around you depends on putting out the fire or safely escaping from the building. Check out the following actions to take when you experience a residential or commercial fire:
Put out the fire if it is safe to do so. If not, get out fast and call 911.
Open windows to get rid of smoke or wait until Fire Department gives all clear.
Report and begin the claim process by calling us at 1-844-806-4612.
Report and begin the claim process by calling us at 1-844-806-4612.list of Insurers.
Fire, Smoke, & Damage Restoration in Alberta & BC
What We Can Do About Your Fire Damage
The certified fire restoration professionals at Canstar Restorations have the expertise and compassion to fill your fire restoration needs. We’ve helped thousands of families like yours and understand the distress a fire causes. With more than 30 years in the restoration business, we get your fire damage repaired quickly with as little aggravation as possible while fully meeting all long-term safety and health standards. Fire damage often goes much deeper than what is immediately visible, and smoke and fire particulates can infiltrate building materials and travel through the ductwork into other rooms. The water and chemicals firefighters use to extinguish the blaze also require specialized cleanup techniques. Because of the potential hazards, it is vital that our team arrives on-site to begin the restoration process as soon as possible. We utilize many leading-edge technologies for the restoration process, including:
- Air cleaners such as ozone and hydroxyl machines, which break down hydrogen molecules to disintegrate particulates
- Specialty coatings that prevent odour from spreading
- Specialty deodorization
- Air scrubbers
- Truck-mounted extractors
- Dehumidifiers/thermal drying
Contact Our Fire Damage Experts
As a locally-owned and -operated restoration company, Canstar Restorations offers reliable services to businesses and homeowners throughout the Coquitlam, BC area. Don’t hesitate to get in touch with us 24/7 for emergency services. Contact us today to get started.