A Canstar Hazardous Material Technician:
- Helps peoplerecover their homes from flood, fire and smoke damage
- Learns and growsin their position with career advancement opportunities
- Stays fitwith physically rewarding work alongside great teammates
A Day in the Life:
In the role of a Hazardous Material Technician, no two days are alike. Technicians are responsible for the adrenaline pumping execution of efficiently and safely removing building contaminants. Hazardous material abatement includes the removal of asbestos, lead, mold, and other contamination due to disaster such as flood, fire and trauma. Technicians are sticklers for following safety standards and diligently complete daily documentation for job sites. The role is rich with mentorship opportunities as it also oversees the training of Jr. Hazmat Technicians.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Removal of Hazardous Materials from building structures as defined in project scope.
- Prepare hazardous materials for disposal as outlined in detailed work procedures.
- Preparation of job sites for HazMat work which includes assembling containments and sealing off work areas
- Establish Negative Air utilizing Hepa-Filtered Air Scrubbers
- Responsible for stocking equipment as needed
- Daily completion of tracking paperwork, timecards, checkout forms and other necessary documentation
- Ensure all relevant safety standards are followed according to Canstar and Work Safe BC requirements
- Provide subject matter expertise and advise Project Managers on required Abatement Protocols
Who we are looking for:
If you have Hazmat experience in the restoration industry, you can get right to work here at Canstar, but if not, have no fear! As long as you are not afraid to get dirty (wearing full personal protective equipment of course) and have experience with basic hand tools, we are happy to provide training to get you up to speed. Other important attributes of a Canstar Hazardous Material Technician are:
- A great attitude and willingness to do whatever is needed to get the job done. We have a hard-working team and are looking for someone with the skills to complement them.
- Ability to work in personal protective equipment, including Tyvek suit and respirators for extended periods of time
- Flexible availability as we are a 24/7 emergency services company and all positions will have a component of on-call work on a rotational basis.
- Physical ability to complete the tasks listed above. Heavy lifting, bending, reaching is required on a daily basis.
- Current Asbestos Abatement Certification an asset
Why join Canstar Restorations?
Canstar is a Canadian restoration company, locally owned and operated since we opened in 1985. We are a company who loves taking part in community events and we are pleased to help our furry friends by sponsoring the BCSPCA. We pride ourselves as being the best in the restoration industry by providing excellent service and a very high level of quality work to our customers.
Once we have taken care of our customer, we know how to celebrate our successes. From Popcorn Fridays to an annual visit to Playland for staff and their families, Canstar Restorations takes care of their employees too.
- Extended Health and Dental
- Industry related Tuition Reimbursement
- Employer matched RRSP