Position: Financial Analyst
Location: Coquitlam, Finance Department
Reports to: Chief Financial Officer (CFO)
Status: Full-time, Permanent
Canstar Restorations is a full-service restoration company with offices in Coquitlam, Surrey, Abbotsford, Vancouver, Whistler and Calgary. We help people by restoring buildings and possessions that have been damaged by fire and water. We currently have over 230 employees and take pride in being reputable for delivering high quality work since 1985.
The primary role of the Financial Analyst is to provide financial leadership on strategic initiatives, business planning, analysis, performance measurement and risk management aspects of Canstar. The Financial Analyst will provide financial information by conducting critical analysis, risk assessment and mitigation, business forecasting, developing and communicating financial policy and guidelines throughout the organization that creates engagement, productivity and enables a higher level of financial awareness.
As a key resource to the Senior Leadership Team and the Board of Directors, the position will provide budget analysis, project proformas, cashflow projections, financial and job cost analysis and financial modeling for decision support. This position participates in strategic planning, corporate projects, and other organizational key initiatives.
Strategy & Business Planning
- Contribute to the company strategic direction by maintaining in-depth knowledge of the external environment regarding areas of responsibility, analyzing impact on company operations, and advising appropriate response to maintain and/or enhance company financial situation, operations, projects, products, and/or results.
- Identify key issues and trends that may impact financial situation, operations and/or company results.
- Provide expert interpretation of financial impact related to company initiatives, products, and customers.
- Present recommendations to mitigate current and/or future issues.
- Develop, implement and maintain an effective planning and analysis capability that provides senior leadership with effective analytical tools and process to establish goals and measure performance of the Company’s lines of business.
- Provide overall guidance in the development of policies and practices designed to drive best practices in financial management.
- Monitor liquidity and ensure adequate levels are maintained.
- In conjunction with CEO, CFO and Controller coordinate the communication and financial reporting to the financial stakeholders.
Corporate Business Development and Financial Analysis
- Review job costs and investigate opportunities for margin improvement
- Participate in the financial modeling and due diligence efforts related to current and new business, major capital expenditures and M&A activities.
- Lead scenario modeling efforts for the development and growth of the business portfolio.
- Work with Senior Leaders on strategic and operating initiatives to determine the financial impact.
- Partner with Accounting and External Service Providers (Audit, Tax, Bank, Insurance et al.), as required throughout the fiscal year.
Performance Measurement and Communications
- Routinely communicate company financial and operational performance trends, historical and forecasted, using appropriate metrics and data visualization tools.
- Identify trends, potential implications, key actions, and strategic implications.
- Coordinate the capital spending review process for the company.
- Develop and execute process to facilitate routine analytical review of company financial and operational performance, leveraging business unit analytical resources and tools.
- Prepare presentations to support board and shareholder meetings, monthly / quarterly senior leadership meetings and various strategic committees of the company.
- Ensure that a strong focus is maintained on the creation and maintenance of a respectful, safe, and healthy work environment for all employees.
- Provide training to the accounting team and internal clients, developing positive cross functional/department relationships.
Education and Experience
- Professional accounting designation (CPA) with current knowledge of accounting principles, practices, and procedures.
- Minimum one (1) year industry experience
- Advanced proficiency with MS Office applications, data analysis tools, accounting software, and ERP systems. Highly advanced Excel spreadsheet skills including Power Pivot and/or Power BI. Experience with MS Dynamics a plus.
- Capability to work with internal departments, external partners, and diverse personalities in a manner that promotes positive relationships.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Strategic approach to business planning, analytical tools and reporting systems that support business communication and decision making
- Applied knowledge of strategic planning, business analysis, financial modelling and reporting
- Exhibits professional maturity, confidence and competence.
- Demonstrates leadership ability and interpersonal skills that inspires Board and Executive confidence, engages employees, supports a team environment and contributes to achieving business goals.
- Strong technical expertise in business, finance and accounting.
- Advanced knowledge and skill in applying accounting and financial reporting software.
- Strategic financial data interpretation, modeling and visualization
- Performs detailed and complex numerical computations and reports.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills with the proven ability to communicate one-on-one and in group settings
- Problem solver with solid analytical skills and the ability to trouble shoot as the need arises. Involves staff in the decision-making process.
- Builds a high-performance culture with a strong people orientation. Work environment, policies and practices reflect this orientation.
- This position primarily reports out of the Coquitlam office and may work from home (50%) or at other branches on occasion.
- Flexible start/end times during business hours Monday – Friday
- Company laptop/computer will be provided
If you’d like to join a fantastic team with a great company culture, please send your resume to email@example.com today.