Position: Environmental Services Technicians (Hazmat Technicians)
Reports to: Environmental Services Department Manager
Location: Coquitlam, BC, with travel throughout the Lower Mainland
Status: Permanent, Full-Time
Canstar Restorations is looking for a fantastic individual to join our team. We are a Canadian restoration company, locally owned and operated since we opened in 1985. From humble beginnings with just a single employee, our team has grown to six branches in two provinces and over 240 skilled and compassionate individuals.
The Environmental Services Technician conducts the efficient and safe removal of building contaminants as directed. Hazardous material abatement includes the removal of asbestos, lead, mould, and other contamination due to disaster such as flood, fire and trauma.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Removal of asbestos and/or mould from ceilings, walls, beams, boilers, and other building structures as defined
- Disposes of hazardous materials as defined in guidelines
- Setting up of decontamination units, portable showers, and connecting walkways between decontamination unit or portable showers and work areas
- Preparation of job sites for HazMat work which may include but is not limited to assembling isolation and sealing off work sites/areas
- Positioning portable air evacuation and filtration systems as required in the work sites
- Responsible for stocking equipment as needed
- Daily completion of tracking paperwork, timecards, checkout forms and other necessary paperwork
- Ensure all relevant safety standards are followed according to Canstar and WorkSafe BC
Education and Experience
- Entry level experience of construction materials and building materials
- Experience working in the restoration industry (flood or containment) is considered beneficial
- Experience working with basic hand tools and equipment is considered an asset
- Valid BC drivers licence and transportation. Clear driver abstract is required.
- Clean criminal record as it relates to employment
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Ability to use complete administrative and daily paperwork
- Ability to communicate effectively in English (verbal and written)
- Ability to multitask and prioritize
- Ability to work in a team environment
- Ability to work in personal protective equipment
- Work is of a physical nature
- Will often work in hot, dirty and/or wet conditions
- The work site may be contaminated with heavy smoke residue, mould, mildew, contaminated water or other unsanitary conditions
- Personal Protective Equipment is available for use and at times is mandatory
- This position primarily reports out of Canstar’s head office or branches or is directly dispatched to work sites
- This position works on job sites mostly within the Lower Mainland area but may be requested to work at job sites outside of this area including the Sea To Sky corridor
- Shifts vary but usually are from 8:00am to 4:30pm less a half hour unpaid lunch break
- Overtime may be required on a periodic basis. This position does have a component of on-call shifts on a rotation basis
- Paid sick/personal days
- Extended health/dental benefits for you and your family
- RRSP matching
- Tuition reimbursement
- We have a fantastic and friendly culture here! We work hard but we also have fun, we care about each other, we support each other and we pull together as one team!
- You will be part of an organization that likes giving back to the community! We support local charities and fundraisers such as the BCSPCA (to help our furry friends), Hospice Society, Habitat for Humanity and the SHARE Food Bank
- We like to promote from within – if you want a career with advancement opportunities, then this is the place for you!
- Play Land Family Days, LobsterFest, Quarterly Breakfasts and many more!
If you are looking to be part of a fantastic team and would like to take the next step in your career, send your resume to email@example.com today!